Saturday, January 21, 2006

I'm Coming Out

Last night Rosita met and hung out with some of my friends. It was a coming out party of sorts for her. However, the evening didn't start well. She was behaving very anti-social even before anyone came over. Just sitting in her hideout, not even coming out when I offered her food. She's never turned down food from my hand, so I was a bit concerned about her. When I mentioned that she was not acting like herself, Heidi questioned what I expected her to do, reminding me that a tortoise is not a terribly active pet. I assured her that I wasn't basing my expectations on the typical behavior of a puppy, rather Rosita's own past actions.

I let her be alone for awhile and then took her out for a soak. Unlike her usual attempt to get out of the water right away, she just sat there. Then she squeezed out some poop and obviously felt a lot better. I put newspaper down on the carpet in the living room and brought her upstairs to roam free with the guests. And she did just that. She was very friendly and active walking around, accepting a lettuce leaf from Karen, allowing Marni and Heidi to pick her up and touch her head. She was the life of the party until she forgot her manners and pooped again (on the newspaper) in front of everyone. Fortunately, she's got a lot of life ahead of her to learn and practice proper etiquette.

No comments: