Wednesday, February 22, 2006

The Longest Day

Rosita, Von and I just got back from thet vet. We're all very tired and two thirds of us are already in bed and probably sleeping. Poor lil' Rosita has some type of shell rot on her tummy - either bacterial or fungal, we dont' know yet. I have to put some medicine (betadine) on her twice a day for two weeks and go back for a re-check. If there is no improvement with the topical treatment, we'll have to do injectable meds. Because reptiles metabolism is so slow, taking meds orally isn't the best method. It's good we caught it as early as we did, and it's not causing her other trouble. Plus, since she's young, she's healthier and better able to manage weakness.

We visited Como Animal Hospital and we were so impressed. Everyone was incredibly friendly and knowledgable. Nonetheless, it was horrible having them poke and prod her. They clipped her nails to show us how. While the one guy was holding her vertically, she closed her eyes for awhile -- and not in a relaxng kind of way. More like, she was thinking, "Please God, let this be over soon." Or maybe that was just me projecting my thoughts... I almost cried.

While we were talking to the vet, Rosita pooped. Actually, this was about the third or fourth time she pooped during our visit -- she shouldn't have to go again for weeks! I don't know if Rosita was trying to give the hint to take a stool sample or not, but it worked. The vet suggested we do a fecal test for worms. Turns out Rosita has hookworm and TWO other types of parasites! So after clipping her little toenails, they took her in the back to "de-worm" her. I'm sure I couldn't have handled watching them stick a tube down her throat with the medicine, so it's probably best I was not a witness. When we go back for our two week checkup on her shell, she'll have the second (and final) round of de-worming.

What a trooper. My lil' redfoot sat motionless but awake in her plastic shoebox car seat on the way home. All this after the most active day she's had in months -- non-stop exercise (pacing) in her cage. Exhausted as me, no doubt. * sigh *

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Poor baby, I hope everything turns out fine.
Shari H